Tuesday, March 02, 2010

By Night WIP



Yet another attempt at digital painting, this time with some moderate success, but still finding it slow and painful. This is the second, larger Cafe Kaffegal facade image, its the same size as the Hans & Greta picture, 90x60cm, at 300 dpi, but differs in that it is not predrawn by hand and then scanned. This image is a pure digital painting. The four images above show the first attempt, with roughly six hours progress before I decided to start again due to the perspective being too skewed. The problem, as ever is diagonal lines which I find very difficult because I'm used to simply turning paper to accomidate my hand.


The second attempt in progress. Having learned from my mistakes, I managed to do in two hours what had previously taken me almost two days.



Edit; 8th April. I haven't had much time to work on this picture, but its coming along slowly. Things may pick up soon as I am in the process of buying a new home computer, one big enough to handle files of this size. In the mean time I've been chipping away at this when ever I've had some spare time. Since my last edit I've added some figures to the cafe interior and I've begun to work on the exterior wall base colours. The top half of the image has to be much darker than the bottom, giving the impression of light and jovility contrasting with the night time darkness. I may add more figures, possibly a guy lighting a cigarette outside in the rain. I haven't decided yet.

No comments: