Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Mannaquin

This is a small illustration I did yesterday. I'm posting it as it is my third experiment with my wacom tablet, and the first time I've used it in a professional capacity. The customer wanted a coloured hand drawing, in vector, so I drew the mannaquin in pencil, scanned it into photoshop and upped the contrast.
Next I made a new layer under the drawing and removed all the white from the top layer. This made it transparent but kept the pencil lines, allowing me to use the wacom to make a colour version below.
Next I saved the line drawing and the colour layer as two seperate PSD images. Then I opened them in Adobe Illustrator (a programme I am largely unfamiliar with) and converted themt o vector graphics. I used a tool called Live Trace for this. Live Trace has numerous filters in the Cs3 version of Illustrator I use at work. I chose the 'comic art' filter for the lines, and the Color 16 filter for the colours. As you can see, rendering the colours into vectors removed all the gradients, but once the two images were merged (which involved the removal of a lot of 'vector debris'), the line art covered the loss of gradients perfectly, and now the whole image can be scaled up and down as required.
The finished image.

2 comments:

Cyan said...

That looks great. Have you presented it to the customer yet?

moif said...

Yes. They were very satisfied, which is both pleasing and annoying. Annoying in that I am afraid that if I'm not being challenged, I may stagnate (being a lazy bugger for the most part)

When have you used a tablet? At work?